Monday, August 3, 2009

potty training woes...

So the worst part of being a mom... potty training! This summer has been dedicated to this very thing. Jack showed a lot of interest and even though he is just over 2 years old I thought no better time to start then now that I am not teaching. We have had a lot of funny/frustrating experiences with this milestone in his life. Jack has gotten to the point where if he has an accident in his pants he automatically goes to his time out chair to sit.
One day he was in his room playing and I was folding laundry when he came out, looked at me, and went downstairs with a guilty look on his face. I went in his room and saw a piece of poop on his floor. I cleaned it up and Jack came back upstairs so excited because he pooped in the potty. I just couldn't get mad at him because he at least finished pooping in the potty. But then he got his bear and brought it downstairs. When I came down I saw his bear sitting on his time out chair and he told me his bear was in time out for pooping on the floor. Then he took the bear and put it on the toilet.
I didn't know whether to get mad at him for pooping on the floor, or blaming in on the bear, or just be glad he realized what was happening in the first place. It took over a month but I am pleased to say that he is finally there and is potty trained almost 100%. Every time he poops he says "is mommy happy" then names everyone in our family and says they are happy. Such a funny kid!

4 comments:

This Idaho Girl said...

That is hilarious. I would love to say goodbye to diapers but am not mentally ready to train two yet. Congrats on achieving the potty training milestone.

The Foster's said...

I'll agree with you there, potty training is one of the worst!!! What a funny story though, at least you get to laught along the way. I'm sure the teenage years, will bring us much more joy:(
So fun seeing you and your kids this weekend, such a cute fam you have Manda!!

Michelle W. Nate said...

I love it! He seems like such a cute kid. I love the whole time out with the bear. He's no dummy that is for sure.

kylee said...

ah, potty training. I think the saying from A Tale of Two Cities fits best for this "it was the best of times (when they actually tell you before hand that they have to go. Sweet success!) it was the worst of times (I don't even have to say anything right?)" Glad he finally got it! For your sake! And your carpets and washing machine too of course :)