Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Big J's FIRE!


Sunday morning at 5 a.m. I went downstairs to go to the bathroom and looked out the window because I saw lights flashing. Fire trucks were stopped outside my house which is next door to my parents house. I grabbed the only blanket in my living room which happened to be Jack's and barely fit around my belly. I was still in my underwear and 9 months pregnant. I ran outside to see Big J's in flames. I looked for my family but no one was around. The fire men were trying to break the door to get inside so I ran as fast as you have ever seen a pregnant lady run to wake my parents up (I was sore for 2 days after). I banged on the doors- they turn their door bells off- but no one could hear me. Luckily, Chelsie was sleeping in Shannon's apartment on the end of the house when I banged on that door. She heard me and thought I was a crazy person so she was scared to open it. She opened the door, asked if I had any clothes on and I told her Big J's was on fire and sprinted up the stairs to tell my parents. My mom was up, dressed and out the door before I could get the whole "Big J's is on FIRE" out and my Dad sat up- looked at me and yelled "I'M SLEEPING!" It took him about 5 times of me telling him to get up because Big J's is on fire before it registered and he flew out of bed. I grabbed some of my mom's clothes so I didn't get a ticket for indecent exposure- but she is so little I looked even more ridiculous with my belly hanging out my shirt and butt tight pants. It was pouring rain and there was nothing we could do to help. I went home to get Cort and he jumped out of bed and ran all the way over to see. It is amazing how fast something can just burn up and how helpless you are just watching it. That morning we still managed to serve 130 national guard guys that we were supposed to cater for lunch.


They think the cause of the fire began in the dryer. It was turned off in the middle of the cycle and didn't cool down so the heat caught fire.
Some of the damage in the kitchen
What used to be the menu board.
The office.
The firemen
An event like this makes you step back and look at things a little differently. We are glad it wasn't our house, or that no one was injured. The fire chief said if they would have waited 10 more minutes to catch the fire the building would have had a flash-back and exploded. We are lucky someone was driving on main street at 5 a.m. on a Sunday morning that was paying attention and saw the smoke. They are estimating about 2-4 months to recover and redo the building- pretty much everything will be replaced. My parents have had so much support and people have been so kind. It is amazing to me to see how generous people are when something like this occurs. So far everything is coming into place and things are getting taken care of. My dad has a great business mind and always has his bases covered. My mom is a very hard worker and really gets things done. We have already seen many blessings through this experience and hope to be back up in business soon. As of now, the worst part about it all is that we have to be like the pioneers and make our own lunch and dinner...

12 comments:

Janita said...

Oh no! I hadn't heard about that. How sad. Preston won't be quite the same w/out it. We used to always go there after games - I loved it! Do they know what started the fire?

Mandi Ward said...

How scary! I hope everything works out.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for the loss of your families eatery. I think the school kids are going to starve(kidding) but on a joking note, That so would have been a sight for the firemen to see you in your skiveys...Haha. If your family needs anything let us know. Laci Smith

Alexis said...

Thank goodness no one was hurt! I can't believe how bad it looks... so sad! Good luck on your last little bit of pregnancy! And I'm sad I missed out on the scrapbook expo!

Jen said...

How scary! Your parents will have it up and running in no time!

Suz Galloway said...

I am already going through withdrawls - I eat there at least once a day - everyone at the hospital feels the same. It is our main eating place on the PM shift.

Leah Miller said...

I heard about this (maybe from Amber). Oh, sad. I have great memories of making icecream runs there in the middle of the night. Not to mention that it is famous from Napoleon Dynamite. I am glad that no one was hurt.

Mary Ellen said...

Oh my heck!!!! I can't believe it!!! I am just in shock! I don't even know what to say- that is so crazy!!! I can just see you in your G's and prgnant running like mad!! Hope everything gets up and going soon!

emily said...

It's because Penny left isn't it?? You are all just wrecking shop because you don't know what to do. Am I right? That is so crazy. I am glad everyone is alright.

Anonymous said...

I was looking for the pictures of you in your mom's clothes. How come you didn't post any of those ones? I'm so sorry that this happened you guys. We miss Big J's!!

Kelli said...

I can't even believe it! That is such a freak think. I am so sorry, but I still have a belly laugh thinking about you running pregnant with barely anything on. love ya

JonesFamily said...

I can believe that happened! That is so scary! What an adrenaline rush. Glad no one was hurt!