Friday, November 27, 2009

Our House

Six years ago while I was training for a marathon I would run around the Glendale reservoir. I took this route a lot because I thought it was the prettiest scenery in Preston. I noticed there was a new subdivision going in with a little for sale sign on it. I memorized the number because I ran past it so much but never told Cort about it. Finally we went for a drive one day and I took him past the lots for sale. He was sold on the land also. We called and purchased the land shortly after that. We have saved and saved and finished paying off the land this year so decided it was the perfect time to start building our house we have thought about and dreamed of for many years. Now that it is done, it ended up being everything we hoped it would be and more.

I have been putting this post off for a long time because I don't really know how to express all my appreciation to all the people who have helped us so much. This has been quite the experience. One I am so thankful we did, and one I never want to do again. Building our house has really been fun. They say if you can build a house and stay married you can make it through anything, and I guess Cort and I are pretty safe because we were on the same page for everything we did- well almost everything... He got a little nervous when he saw my paint choices but ended up really liking them. Cort put his heart and soul into building this house and I am amazed at his skills. He is so creative and is such a craftsman (something he has always wanted to be called). He worked his guts out almost every night for the past five months after working for 10 hours a day. We enjoyed the process and are thrilled with the outcome. I haven't posted about our house and the status for quite a while so here is a recap of what we have been doing.
First of all, I need to preface this that as the pictures will show we have received a TON of help. We are overwhelmed with the help we have received. It makes me get all emotional when I think of the hours and hours of help we had with our house. I don't know how we can ever repay our friends and family for all the work they did for us. From watching our boys, making us dinner when we have been running ourselves crazy, helping paint, driving long distances to help for the weekend, watching our boys again, painting, wood work, landscaping, fencing, flooring, all the electrical work, horse stalls, planting trees, moving, and many more tasks we are extremely grateful for EVERY single hand and minute people gave us.
Cort suited up to begin spraying- a not so fun adventure...
We had so much help with the painting it really didn't even seem too bad. We thought it would take us a week to finish but we had it completely done in about two days. Scotty came and helped paint- he can always humor anyone and make it fun.

My brother in law Kyle helped us a lot from building the fence to painting to watching our kids a billion.
We somehow even got Justin Bowles to come out and help paint. Even though I had to repaint everything he did we still appreciate his efforts. Just kidding Bowles you did great- that's why I put you in the laundry room where no one would notice... hehe
Cort painting the boys room. He is just talented at everything he does.
HMMMM who is the picture on the wall because I don't think it looks like Scotty or El Corte... too bad they painted over it.

My dad said he painted a big B O B in the ceiling above our bed. We have yet to spot it so I really hope he didn't.
And what would we do without Granny to take our kids almost every night while we worked. It made it so much easier for us to get things done. We are so lucky to have my parents close to help with our boys.
The twins Taya and Teague even got to come hang out a few times while Cort's brother helped with the electrical work.
After painting Cort, my dad, and Kyle put in the wood floor. It turned out so beautiful.
Then began the hard wood trim work. This is in my opinion where our house is really cool. Cort and his buddy Victor designed the trim and spent many hours milling, joining, staining, cutting, and piecing it together. This is the one thing Cort really wanted to do in our house is hard wood trim and interior doors. It was a lot of work but totally worth it. Cort's workshop- the garage.
Victor and Shane hard at work. Yes Katie- Shane really did work he wanted me to tell you that and document with a picture.
The staining spray on the wood was so potent. When I would help Cort stain I would wear the mask so I think Cort has lost a few more valuable brain cells.
Cort's mom Jami and her husband Bob helped a ton. Bob is a trooper and is so good to come down and help. Cort and Jami staining more wood.
Cort even made a wood paneled wall.
I haven't taken a picture of the finished outside of our house because it isn't all the way done yet. They still need to pour a little cement stair and I need to stain the front door, I have been putting it off. But the siding turned out awesome. We did cedar shakes in the front and some vertical siding but here is what the siding looks like until I post a finished picture.
Then for the finishing touches before move it. Jack and Cort installing the dishwasher.
And TONS of cleaning!!! My mom can bust out cleaning a house like no ones business. I feel like all I have been doing lately is clean my house because of all the dust still settling and dirt. I guess I better get used to it though.
We thought we would take a week or so to move our stuff into our house because we weren't in a big hurry and were pretty beat. I wanted to be really organized so it wouldn't be hard to put away. So I spent about six hours packing up our downstairs of our apartment all nice and in boxes and figured it would take them a good three hours to move it all while I packed the upstairs. I was so wrong. We borrowed the U&I moving van and Judd, Nick, and Cort had the downstairs moved in about 15 minutes. I started panicking and ran upstairs and just started shoving things into boxes and even plastic sacks as they were hauling them away as I did it. They were able to move our apartment of SEVEN years- and a LOT of accumulated STUFF in just a few hours. So they are the 3 amigo moving company, I strongly recommend them to anyone looking to move. And so far none of my stuff is missing or broken.
The 3 amigo moving men don't mess around. They get the job done.
And so we are all moved in... Well almost. It only took about a week to organize this mess and make it livable. But at least we got it all moved in one shebang right?
The finished product, minus decorations- ideas anyone? The master bedroom. Yes, Cort was a little leary with the dark/light purple and green combo in our bedroom until he found out the paint names were "black magic" and "enchanted forest" then he thought they were pretty cool.
Master bathroom

The main bathroom.
Living room

Laundry room-went a little crazy on the paint colors in here, but it is the laundry room I can have a little fun with it since I am the only one who uses it anyway. This board is a magnet/chalkboard-
The kitchen.
The office/Jack's room/guest room until our basement is done then just the office.

Hank's room

Dining room
Our first night in our house was November 14th. The boys reading a story our first night.
Hank's first night sleeping in our new house.
Jack was so excited to finally sleep in his "Glendale" house he could hardly contain himself.

We are so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends who helped us so much. I can not thank them all enough. My dad has put in almost as many hours as Cort and started clear back in July with fencing every weekend. He is also a Jack of all trades and him and Cort work so well together. My dad is such a trooper and was always willing to come out and help every night. He pulled many long hours and we truly could not have done this without him and my mom for working for him so he could come out or watching our boys. I think they are both regretting all the hard work they did for us now because we are not their neighbors anymore or in their ward. They are the best parents in the world and are willing to do anything for us and support us in all we do. I don't know how we will ever repay them for letting us live next to them for so long and all they have done for us but we love you guys and are thankful you are our parents and Granny and Pa.
There are so many other people I could thank also. Cort and I often talk about how lucky we are to have such great people in our lives and for everything they do for us. We are so lucky and are forever in debt to you all.

9 comments:

Katie said...

It is perfect!! I can't believe how well everything came together. I am with you, the wood work in AMAZING. Cort and Vic are come talented boys! I am glad Shane actually helped, I just wish we could have been there more. I can't wait to see it. If all my dreams ever come true we will be neighbors so hope for that will you.

Unknown said...

your home is beautiful!

summergibbs said...

So, so, so beautiful! Congratulations! Building a house is hard work...we did ours in six months and half of that time Trent was out of town so I had to handle things. It was a great experience! Now we will have to come visit you! We may be down that way on Saturday...what is your phone number and I will give you a call?
P.S. Cort should have called Trent to come help with the electrical!

Stewart Family said...

Beautiful house Amanda. Cort did a great job. Congratulations. The kitchen is amazing!

Kelli said...

Oh how I love you new house...how exciting, i bet that is the best feeling to have done! I so love it!!

Anonymous said...

PLEASE MOVE BACK!!!!!

Anonymous said...

PLEASE MOVE BACK!!!!!

John and Penny said...

Wow it looks beautiful! Great job Cort! I can't wait to see it in Feb. I guess you will show me right? I love the colors too. The wood work is just amazing and it is just beautiful! Your llittle guys have grown so much. Tell them Naunie says hi. Can't wait to see you. I didn't know you had such a great way of saying things Mandi! Nice blog.

Julie said...

House looks great! Beautiful with all Corts handy work! We are way excited for you guys! Too bad we had to view it just from the blog. Maybe someday we will make the "friend" list and get invited out to see it now its done! :-)